Teapot World, August. Fridays (poetry)



1. soundless*






It left you.

Days go by in different dreams now,

That promise long lost, replaced,

Lost again and replaced and lost and replaced

And each time the feeling getting smaller as it moved away,

Blown along with time like a cluster of white seeds

Drifting quietly, so quietly,

Over a gravel path.

You followed it awhile but there

In the tall, dry grass ahead

It disappeared.

You let go.



Still, the warm blue of an August night

Holds all the world, still,

Enough to bring it into remembrance – we all know that.

We all felt that, the sweet remembering,

The every-breath-an-ache that replaced you

With tears in which you were not alone,

In which you belonged.

But it left you some time ago,

Maybe yesterday, maybe 2 years ago or 10 or oh,

You don’t really know when.





Still, in the silence before a summer storm

You search, still, for the ache,

Search for distant promises

Like a shadow reaching for the dark.



*poem first published in Apeiron; photo first published in Gravel




2. within blue




It’s not the color,

Not the silence –

It has a sound –

A rumble deep,

Present and far,

That weaves and waves toward me, beneath.



An earthquake, a terrible fear

That I felt, then,

That I hide, now,

Inside blue –

Leading it away from expressing

Into me, through me, in me –

In my now,

In my then:

That you are gone, still,

That you were gone already, then

As I laid bare in other colors,

Graying, yes, still,

Green and yellow and white – in its way -e

Wondering where you’d been.



She said: you were gone:

Gone? Gone.



My hand remained,

But the phone, her voice, greens and reds,

Even that gray,

Disappeared in a breath, held, still,

Across all this time:

Suspended in a world above where I went,

That last breath of mine,

As I fell into blue,

To hide from that hu sorrow

Within a color.











3. the forms that mark in their leaving




I have a form

You can see it there:

Call me a teapot,

Squared,

A flourish above as a cap,

An angled wooden handle meant,

I’m sure you see,

More to be seen than held,

The sort of bringer-of-tea

Used only when guests arrive, if then.



I have a place,

Resting, side-view on the bookcase,

The 4th row up from the floor

Where I see people gingerly or

Comfortably walking past:

More than a place, I

Suppose, it is my space



Or was: there was,

There was a day

When you did not pass by

Anymore. I remained

Fixed, became

Dust defined and dust enforced

Until that rumble, two feet

Four feet eight and more,

Ka-runch of boots and men and scraping

And taking

As all around was swept away

Into dark boxes,

Ambassadors from other dusty places, darkened

And taken and wrapped and taken and I

Wondered where you’d gone.



I’m still there, locked away

In the growing wet dryness,

Silent, soundless, blue within,

Trapped within blue words,

Finding solace in memory

Only of your form

That remains passing by me,

Undefined like

Shadows in water

Flowing away,

Waiting, still.